Hill County Town of Hubbard turns 125
The town was once called Slap Out.
Read full article from the Waco Tribune
Central Texans who have passed through the Hill County town of Hubbard are probably unaware that it was once named for a store whose owner apparently had trouble keeping his shelves stocked.
The community’s moniker stuck until 1881 when a rail depot was opened and the town was officially founded as Hubbard, according to the Handbook of Texas Online. The town was named for former Texas governor Richard B. Hubbard, who was present at the depot dedication.
On Saturday, the 1,500-resident city celebrates its 125th birthday with a daylong party at the city park.
Early 1900s street view of Hubbard, Texas from Texas Old Photos